Center for Healthcare Innovation, Implementation and Policy
CSHIIP Leadership | Stephanie L. Taylor, PhD, MPH
Stephanie L. Taylor, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Associate Director, VA HSR&D Center for the Study of Healthcare Innovation, Implementation & Policy, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
Dr. Stephanie Taylor is a nationally recognized health services researcher and sociomedical scientist with over 25 years’ research experience in effectiveness and implementation research at the VA, UCLA and RAND. She is a Senior Investigator at the VA. She directs the VA’s national Complementary and Integrative Health Evaluation Center, a QUERI Partnered Evaluation Initiative, which conducts large-scale research studies on the effectiveness and implementation of novel therapies such as meditation, mindfulness, acupuncture, and yoga in partnership with the VA Central Office. For her teams’ research in this area, she was awarded the VA’s national HSR&D Health System Impact Award in 2019. She also is Co-PI of a study of psychedelic-assisted therapy with MDMA for PTSD among veterans at the Los Angeles VA and is founding Co-Director of the Los Angeles VA’s Veteran Psychedelic Research and Education Center. Dr. Taylor also is Adjunct Associate Professor in Medicine and Health Policy & Management at UCLA and is Associate Director at the VA’s Health Services Research & Development Center in Los Angeles. She has served as PI of large pragmatic clinical trials, cost effectiveness studies, national surveys of use and effectiveness, large-scale implementation studies, and studies of educational materials for providers and patients. She serves on several national review panels and prominent strategic taskforces, including as Chair of NIH/National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health’s Special Emphasis Review Panels, Chair of VA Health Services Research & Development Center Scientific Merit Review Panels, Member of the Department of Defense’s Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs' Chronic Pain Management Research Program Programmatic Panel, PCORI, and Member of LA Care’s Technical Advisory Committee. She has served as Associate Editor and a member of the editorial board for the Journal of Integrative and Complementary Medicine and served as Editor for Medical Care journal special supplements. She serves on several UCLA and VA post-doctoral programs. She received her Ph.D. in Sociomedical Sciences and her M.P.H. in Epidemiology from Columbia University.
- Farmer MM, McGowan M, Yuan A, Whitehead A, Osawe U, Taylor The Organization of Complementary and Integrative Health Practices at the VA: A National Survey. J Altern Complement Med. 2021; 27(S1):124-130.
- Taylor SL, Giannitrapani K, Ackland P, Thomas ER, Federman DG, Holliday J, Olson J, Kligler B, Zeliadt SB. The Implementation and Effectiveness of Auricular Acupuncture for Pain in Routine Clinical Care at VA Facilities. Pain Medicine. 2021; 1-6.
- Taylor SL, Bolton R, Hyunh A, Dvorin K, Elwy AR, Bokhour B, Whitehead A, Kligler B. Adoption and Implementation of Complementary and Integrative Health Therapies. J Alternative and Complementary Medicine. April 2019; 25:S52–S60.
- Taylor SL, Hoggatt K, Kligler B. Complementary and Integrated Health Approaches: What Do Veterans Use and Want. J Gen Intern Med 2019 Jul;34(7):1192-1199.
- Taylor SL, Herman PM, Marshall NJ, Zeng Q, Yuan A, Chu K, Shou Y, Morioka C, Lorenz K. Use of Complementary and Integrated Health: A Retrospective Analysis of by U.S. Veterans with Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain Nationally. J Altern Complement Med. 2019 Jan;25(1):32-39.
- Taylor SL, Giannitrapani K, Yuan A, Marshall N. What Patients and Providers Want to Know About Complementary and Integrative Health Therapies. J Altern Compl Med. 2018 Jan;24(1):85-89.
Last Updated: November 28, 2022