Center for Healthcare Innovation, Implementation and Policy
CSHIIP Leadership | Elizabeth M. Yano, PhD, M.S.P.H.
Elizabeth M. Yano, Ph.D., M.S.P.H.
Director, VA HSR&D Center for the Study of Healthcare Innovation, Implementation & Policy, VA Greater LA Healthcare System
Deputy Associate Chief of Staff (ACOS) for Health Services Research, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
Senior Research Career Scientist Awardee, VA HSR&D Service
Adjunct Professor of Health Policy & Management, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health
Dr. Elizabeth (Becky) Yano is Director and Senior Research Career Scientist at the HSR&D Center for the Study of Healthcare Innovation, Implementation & Policy at the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, and Adjunct Professor of Health Policy & Management at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health. She received the 2012 Under Secretary’s Award for Outstanding Achievement in Health Services Research, and was inducted into the Alumni Hall of Fame for the Breslow Lifetime Achievement. Trained in health care epidemiology, biostatistics and health policy at UCLA and RAND, Dr. Yano has over 30 years’ experience in health services research and is a nationally recognized expert on organizational influences on quality of care and implementation of evidence-based practice. She is nationally recognized for her leadership in establishing the VA women’s health research agenda, developing the foundations necessary for systematically improving women veterans’ health and health care. She is PI of the VA Women’s Health Research Network leading a national consortium of investigators through provision of education/training, mentorship and technical consultation, and co-leading the VA Women’s Health Practice-Based Research Network. She is also Director of the VA HSR&D Women Veterans Health CREATE, a 5-project partnered research collaborative designed to use research to accelerate implementation of comprehensive care for women, and Director of the VA WHS/QUERI Partnered Evaluation Center to examine effectiveness of evidence-based quality improvement among low-performing VAs.
- Yano EM, Darling J, Hamilton AB, Canelo I, Chuang E, Meredith LS, Rubenstein LV. Cluster randomized trial of a multilevel evidence-based quality improvement approach to tailoring VA Patient Aligned Care Teams to the needs of women Veterans [Protocol Paper]. Implement Sci. 2016;11(1):101. PMID: 27435723
- Yano EM. A partnered research initiative to accelerate implementation of comprehensive care for women Veterans: The VA Women’s Health CREATE. Med Care. 2015 Apr;53(4 Suppl 1):S23-S31. PMID: 25767962
- Yano EM, Bair MJ, Carrasquillo O, Krein SL, Rubenstien LV. Patient Aligned Care Teams (PACT): VA’s journey to implement patient-centered medical homes. J Gen Intern Med. 2014 Jul;29(Suppl 2):S547-S549. PMID: 24715407
- Yano EM, Haskell S, Hayes P. Delivery of gender-sensitive comprehensive primary care for women veterans: Implications for VA Patient Aligned Care Teams. J Gen Intern Med. 2014 Jul;29(Suppl 2):S703-S707. PMID: 24715395
- Yano EM, Green LW, Glanz K, Ayanian J, Mittman BS, Chollette V, Rubenstein LV. Implementation and spread of multi-level interventions in practice: Implications for the cancer care continuum. J National Cancer Institute. 2012;44:86-99. PMID: 22623601
- Yano EM, Bastian L, Bean-Mayberry B, Eisen S, Frayne SM, Hayes P, Lipson L, Mattocks K, McGlynn G, Sadler AN, Schnurr P, Washington DL. Using research to transform care for women veterans: Advancing the research agenda and enhancing research-clinical partnerships. Women’s Health Issues. 2011;21(4 Suppl):S73-S83. PMID: 21724148
- Yano EM, Hayes P, Wright S, Schnurr PP, Lipson L, Bean-Mayberry B, Washington DL. Integration of women veterans into VA quality improvement research efforts: What researchers need to know. J Gen Intern Med. 2010;1:56-61. PMID: 20077153
- Yano EM. The role of organizational research in implementing evidence-based practice: QUERI Series. Implement Science, 2008; 3:29. PMID: 18510749
- Yano EM, Rubenstein LV, Farmer MF, Chernof BA, Mittman BS, Lanto AB, Simon BF, Lee ML, Sherman SE. Targeting primary care referrals to smoking cessation clinics does not improve quit rates: Implementing evidence-based interventions into practice. Health Serv Res, 2008;43(5), Part 1:1637-1661. PMID: 18522670
- Yano EM, Simon BF, Lanto AB, Rubenstein LV. The evolution of changes in primary care delivery underlying the Veterans Health Administration’s quality transformation. Am J Public Health, 2007;97(12):2151-2159. PMID: 17971540
- Yano EM, Soban LM, Parkerton PH, Etzioni DA. Primary care practice organization influences colorectal cancer screening performance. Health Services Research, 2007; 48(3):1130-1149. PMID: 17489907
Last updated: August 1, 2017